As a student majoring in Behavioral Sciences, there are some curriculum requirements you must meet. To graduate, you must earn 120 credit hours total.
You must take 39 credit hours of required courses for the core curriculum.
- English (12 hours; 3 hours must be literature and may be a foreign literature; 3 hours must be public speaking, writing, or acting)
- History (3 hours)
- Math (6 hours; 3 hours must be college algebra; 3 hours may be statistics)
- Science (9 hours)
- Behavioral Science (6 hours; 3 hours must be at the 200 level or higher; Select from anthropology, criminal justice, political science, psychology, sociology, geography, or ECON 201, 202, or 300)
- Arts/Humanities/Behavioral Science (3 hours; the course must be different from your chosen concentration). Arts courses include visual arts, dance, music, and theater; humanities courses include communication, English, history, humanities, language, philosophy, journalism, and honors.
Behavioral Sciences - Major/ Concentration Courses
If you choose Behavioral Sciences as your major, you will be required to complete 24 credit hours from subject matter in the Behavioral Sciences block. All 24 of those credit hours must be at the 300 or 400-level with an earned grade of "C" or higher.
Choose your courses from the following disciplines:
- Communicative disorders
- Criminal Justice
- Economics 201, 202, and 300
- Educational foundations and leadership
- Educational curriculum and instruction
- Special education
- Library science
- Kinesiology (KNES, not KNEA)
- Political science
Enrichment Blocks (Blocks are simply "groups of subjects")
For your enrichment hours, you must complete 36 credit hours. You need 12 credit hours in three or more blocks each (for 36 hours total) — and one of those blocks will be the same as your major/ concentration area. You can complete coursework in any combination of subjects within those three blocks. The idea is that you get “enriched” by exploring different disciplines - find out where your interests lie, what your strengths are, and what classes are a hit for you! These 36 hours can be 100-400 level courses. This will ultimately lead towards your decision of which block you want to major in.
The other blocks besides Behavioral Sciences are:
- Behavioral Sciences
- Applied Sciences A
- Applied Sciences B (Business)
Note: A maximum of 30 hours of courses through the College of Business Administration can be applied towards your Bachelor of General Studies degree.
You are free to choose 21 credit hours from any block to complete your electives. We encourage you to use at least 6 hours towards the completion of a minor. Your advisor can assist you in making these decisions.
Additional Requirements/ Restrictions:
2-3 cr. hours - computer intensive course
3 cr. hours - advanced writing course
Only one (1) KNEA class can be applied towards your graduation requirements.