As a student majoring in Applied Sciences, there are some curriculum requirements you must meet. To graduate, you must earn 120 credit hours total.
You must take 39 credit hours of required courses for the core curriculum.
- English (12 hours; 3 hours must be literature and may be a foreign literature; 3 hours must be public speaking, writing, or acting)
- History (3 hours)
- Math (6 hours; 3 hours must be college algebra; 3 hours may be statistics)
- Science (9 hours)
- Behavioral Science (6 hours; 3 hours must be at the 200 level or higher; Select from anthropology, criminal justice, political science, psychology, sociology, geography, or ECON 201, 202, or 300)
- Arts/Humanities/Behavioral Science (3 hours; the course must be different from your chosen concentration). Arts courses include visual arts, dance, music, and theater; humanities courses include communication, English, history, humanities, language, philosophy, journalism, and honors.
Applied Sciences - A (Major/Concentration Courses)
If you choose Applied Sciences as your major (area of concentration) , you will be required to complete 24 credit hours from the Applied Sciences block (groups of subjects from Block 5A). All 24 of those credit hours must be at the 300- or 400-level with a grade "C" or higher.
Choose coursework from the following disciplines.
- Child and family studies
- Computer science
- Emergency health science
- Health information management
- Industrial design
- Industrial technology
- Interior design
- Military science
- Kinesiology (KNES, not KNEA)
- Renewable resources
- Health services administration
Enrichment Blocks (Blocks are simply "groups of subjects")
For your enrichment hours, you must complete 36 credit hours. You need 12 credit hours from three different blocks each (for 36 hours total) — one of those blocks will be the same as your major/area of concentration. You can complete coursework in any combination of subjects within those three blocks. The idea is that you get “enriched” by exploring different disciplines — find out where your interests lie, what your strengths are, and what classes are a hit for you! These 36 hours can be 100-400 level courses. This will ultimately lead towards your decision of which block you decide to make your major.
Other blocks besides Applied Sciences A are:
- Behavioral Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Applied Sciences B (Business)
Note: A maximum of 30 hours can be applied from the College of Business Administration.
You are free to choose from any block to fulfill your 21 credit hours towards electives. We encourage you to use at least 6 of those hours to complete a minor.
2-3 cr. hours - computer intensive course
3 cr. hours - advanced writing course
Only one (1) KNEA class can be applied towards your graduation requirements